Body for Life, the Universe, and Everything

Being a description of the author's thoughts on the experience of participating in the "Body for Life" Challenge, questions of great philosophical import, and randomly selected topics of no significance whatsoever

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

In no particular order, I'm a professional lettering artist, a yoga practitioner, a cat lover, a vegetarian, a reader of everything from books to cereal boxes, married to a very attractive guy named Tom (nope, no kids), an exercise enthusiast, and a lot of other things I don't care to admit in a public forum. I have a BS in applied math that I haven't used in over 10 years, and I can put both feet behind my head. What else would you like to know?

Monday, January 23, 2006

A Sneakily Radical Way of Eating

A couple of days ago, I was trying to make a dent in the stack of unread magazines (although much of the house has been decluttered, I have trouble letting go of unread reading material), and I came across an interesting article in Yoga Journal regarding food, and people's relationship/attitudes relating to it. As a result of that article, I decided to change my approach to my diet (diet being a way of eating, rather than something specifically designed for weight loss). My new approach is to say that any food is permissible at any time...as long as I really think about it first, and stay mindful of what I am eating while I eat it. That means that before I eat anything, I think about whether I am really hungry or just trying to fill some other lack with food. I think about what I really want to eat. I think about what will be the most satisfying, and how I will feel afterwards. I think about my long-term goals. And once I start eating, I focus on the experience of eating...the flavors, the textures, the scents, and how I feel.

I am just starting to work with this approach, but it has paid off very well so far. I am eating better, I am eating less, and I am enjoying what I eat much more. It has been an entirely positive experience thus far. I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home