Body for Life, the Universe, and Everything

Being a description of the author's thoughts on the experience of participating in the "Body for Life" Challenge, questions of great philosophical import, and randomly selected topics of no significance whatsoever

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

In no particular order, I'm a professional lettering artist, a yoga practitioner, a cat lover, a vegetarian, a reader of everything from books to cereal boxes, married to a very attractive guy named Tom (nope, no kids), an exercise enthusiast, and a lot of other things I don't care to admit in a public forum. I have a BS in applied math that I haven't used in over 10 years, and I can put both feet behind my head. What else would you like to know?

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Self-Sabotage

I wouldn't say that I have been stupid...I think perhaps "stubbornly resistant to acknowledging reality" would be more accurate. You see, my favorite food is peppermint ice cream. Even five years as a total vegan, about three of which I went completely without sugar, didn't eliminate my taste for it. The difficulty is that peppermint ice cream seems to only be made during the holiday season. I don't think you can get it *anywhere* during the other 10-1/2 months of the year. So if something you really like is only available during a limited time, you are inclined to get as much of it as possible during that time, right? Well, that is what I have been doing. And the results are not pretty.

I looked at the nutritional information on the back of a carton of peppermint ice cream yesterday, and ran the numbers in my head. I prefer not to say exactly how much ice cream I have been eating in terms of cups or ounces; however, I just about croaked when I realized that I have been consuming approximately 1000 calories' worth, almost every day, for the last few weeks. That is 7000 calories a week! SEVEN THOUSAND CALORIES!! One pound of fat is 3500 calories; that means that I have been consuming enough ice cream that if everything else were in balance before I started permitting this obsession to take over my brain, I would be gaining two pounds a week. GAAAAH!! No wonder when I saw my silhouette in the mirror by accident the other day I almost didn't recognize it!

Yes, I knew I was eating too much ice cream. Yes, I suspected it was affecting my shape. Yes, I noticed that my shape was going in a direction that did not please me. However, until I actually ran the numbers, I was fooling myself that it didn't really make that much of a difference. Hence my opening comment about being "stubbornly resistant to acknowledging reality."

I am thinking about putting a sign on the freezer that says something like, "Do you REALLY want to gain two pounds a week?" Or maybe a picture of me at my heaviest (now, or a couple of other times--although I have a lot more muscle (from BFL) than I did any other time I was this weight) next to one of me in my best shape...with some appropriate comment.

I don't know whether to be pleased or insulted by how good I am at fooling myself. Me, I'm going with plain ol' disgusted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home